Importing ParticipantsLast Updated: August 23, 2019
General Information on Filling out the Participant Import Template
- When uploaded, a new participant record will be created for each row in the CSV file. The system does not restrict the creation of duplicate participant names, so please make sure you review the information before uploading your file.
- We recommend editing the CSV file using a spreadsheet editor, like Excel. Just put your data into the appropriate cells, and the editor will take care of the CSV syntax for you. Just make sure to save or export the file in CSV format.
- Do not change any of the existing column titles/headers (the first row). Handrail uses those titles to identify the data in each column.
- Handrail does not require participant information to be formatted in a particular way. For best results, ensure that your data is consistently formatted according to the conventions used by your organization.
Example image of data columns and participant data you might enter:
Associating Personas with Participants
To associate a participant with an existing persona, simply enter that persona's name. If a persona name does not match any of your existing personas, a new persona with that name will be created. Details for the new persona must be entered separately in Handrail.
Previously, we said not to change any of the existing column titles. However, you can add columns. Any additional columns you add to the CSV file will be treated as tag groups. The column title will become a tag group while the entries in that column will become the tags in that tag group.
- To include multiple tags for a particular participant, separate each tag using a semi-colon (;).
- If a cell is left blank in a tag group column, that tag group will not be applied to that participant.
Example image of adding new columns for tag groups and tags: